Trevor in Ghana


About Me



I am a recent Engineering graduate from the University of British Columbia. I was born and raised in Vancouver, but now live in Tamale in the Northern Region of Ghana. I am working for Engineers Without Borders Canada in partnership with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture. Together we are developing an extension program that will help farmers bring their farming from a subsistence level to a fully functioning business.

Arriving in Ghana

Written: Aug 3, 2007

As I stepped off the last step of the staircase onto the airport tarmac it was hard to believe this day had finally come. I tried to take it all in: the warm breeze blowing across my face; the excitement of those around me happy to be home again; and the butterflies in my stomach as I stepped into something completely unknown.

On the bus ride from the apron to the terminal I ran in to Katie, a former EWB volunteer. What are the odds of that? She had picked me out of the crowed by my iron ring and white wrist band. She had been in Ghana 2 years ago and was now returning for a conference on education being held in the capital city of Accra. Once inside the terminal I quickly made my way through customs and grabbed my luggage.

After some initial confusion I finally met up with Charlie. Charlie works for KITE, an NGO in Ghana that EWB has done a lot of work with. He was so kind to have come pick me up at the airport, show me where the bus station was, and then drop me off at the hotel where I spent the night.

On the drive to the hotel, which we couldn’t find, I got my first in person look at what it’s like to live in poverty in a developing country. It left me with two feelings. First, the desire to understand what their life is like day in and day out. Second, completely overwhelmed. How can I help these people overcome the challenges they face everyday?

It is getting late, and I need to get some sleep as I only slept in bits and pieces during my flights to Ghana. Tomorrow morning I will wake up early to catch the bus to Tamale where I will be living. I’m sure the 12-14 hour bus ride will be an experience in itself.

0 Responses to “Arriving in Ghana”

Post a Comment



© 2007 Trevor in Ghana | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.